キネマ旬報 1953年3月下旬号No.59 / Kinema Junpo, Late March 1953 Issue

So, remember when I said in my post about The Last Embrace that if I ever lost my fool head and paid a decent chunk of change to import the Kinema Junpo issue featuring that film, I would make a new post about it?

Wellllll...

As it turns out, the only mention of The Last Embrace in this issue amounts to a two-page ad spread. But to my surprise there was a feature on Mr. Pu [Pu-san] in there! We all know Mr. Pu, right? The one with Yūnosuke Itō? The one that Akihiko Hirata is in for about ten seconds playing a university student with a lung disease, which made me feel really weird when I watched it? Yeah, that one.

I wish I could just scan this entire magazine and show it to you all. Despite the lack of Last Embrace, there is so much cool stuff in here. I'm excited to own this issue, which to me is a piece of history. Let's get on to some photos.

Here is the spread featuring The Last Embrace. The title is the first on the list on the left-hand page.

the gloves are more for my protection than the magazine's - pieces of it were flaking off in my lap

Here's a feature on Yoshiko Yamaguchi. I tried to run this through Google Translate multiple times but it was coming out absolute garbage; hopefully this photo is clear enough that you can read it for yourself if you happen to read kanji (I can read kana but that doesn't really get me anywhere with this).


Here's the feature on Mr. Pu:


The machine translation on this was a bit better. It reads something like:

   "It goes without saying that Taizo Yokoyama's manga is currently being serialized in Mainichi Shimbun. This is a film adaptation of 'Pu-san', which is mixed with 'Miss Ganko', a manga serialized in Sunday Mainichi by the same author. Also in manga, there are various types of manga, including current events manga and reading manga that are appealing to children, but Yokoyama's manga has a fan base among the intelligentsia class due to its unique style and satirical nature. This characteristic is clearly reflected in 'Pu-san'.
   The inconsistent and fragmented manga was compiled into a script by Natsuto Toshikawa, with the cooperation of Kon Ichikawa and radio writer Shigeaki Nagaki, and Ichikawa directed it. An urban comedy with sophistication.
   How to make use of the humor and satire of the manga - Yūnosuke Itō as Noro, who plays the role of Pu-san, and Kang, who plays the role of Ganko. Ganko is played by Koshiji Fubuki, and while Ganko is a trickster, Noro is a humble teacher and shows off his good-natured demeanor and timidity. The depiction of Yūnosuke Itō's humble demeanor as he is bullied by the turbulent waves of the world seems both funny and sad.
   According to the script, rather than the satirical nature of Yokoyama's manga, I can sense more strongly his intention to depict the 'absolute grace' of the good little citizen Noro in a comedic style.
In addition to Itō and Koshiji, Yoko Sugi, Keiju Kobayashi, Kaoru Yachigusa, Hiroshi Koizumi, and Isao Kimura, Fujiwara Kamatari, Daisuke Katō, Sakae Miyoshi also appear. Produced by Masumi Fujimoto. Cinematography by Choichi Nakai. Music by Toshiro Mayuzumi. [Toho Movies]"

Finally, here are a few of the cute little illustrations that I found throughout the magazine:

cool tattoo idea if you're a girl who bikes


"over there"

Stay tuned for more Kinejun issues. I got a part-time job so I can afford to do this stuff more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ザ•ハングマン / The Hangman (1980 TV Series)

I'm making a post about this series because it just sounds really interesting to me. I would love to be able to watch some of it someday...