Monday, July 20, 2026

Playing Yoshiko Otowa on a 100-Year-Old Gramophone

...because that's just what you have to do sometimes.

Here's Yume o yobu mado ("Window that Brings Dreams") by Yoshiko Otowa, released in 1957, played on my 1925 His Master's Voice model 101 gramophone. Apologies for the video quality; Blogger has a 100mb limit so I've had to compress it quite a bit.


I own a gramophone and a few of Yoshiko Otowa's records, and am working on getting recordings of them archived and uploaded online. I won't be making individual posts for each of them but you can always check up on my discography list which I'll be updating as I get the songs uploaded.

(Apologies for poor audio as well - I am new to gramophones and still getting the hang of how to crank mine enough so that it plays a full song at a consistent rate of speed. I am having a hell of a good time, though.)

(Also please note that it is usually a bad idea to play shellac records from the 1950s or later on a gramophone of this age, due to newer records typically being made of more fragile material that is not suited to the weight of the tonearm on these older machines. Japan - as with many things - seems to have continued older methods of manufacturing shellac records for longer than other countries, so even though my records are from the 1950s, they are safe to play on this machine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment